Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Culture Shock

Last week in class, we discussed a list of different things that we could do to keep us from being homesick while abroad. From writing ourselves a letter, to getting out and exploring as much as possible, the idea that stuck out the most to me was making a bucket list.

I will be in Chile for 6 weeks. This may seem like a long time, but my biggest fear is that it will fly by without me realizing, and I will have missed opportunities to see and do everything that I wasted. Before I go, I am going to research things that I might like to experience while I am there and right them down in order of importance. Then, my goal when I get there will be to meet people that have the same goals as I do, and we can go through our adventures together.

The other thing that could affect my culture shock and homesickness is the language barrier. I am naturally an outgoing person and could talk to anyone that is willing to listen to me. I am nervous that I won't be able to break outside of my box as much while I am there because I will be in the process of learning Spanish. I need to remind myself that I am still learning and not to give up because I will get the hang of it soon enough.

Using Skype and Facetiming my family and friends when I get the change will be helpful to me, also. I can't wait to call them after a day of exploring the city and tell them all about it. It is amazing what technology can do now and it makes things a little less stressful knowing that i'll be halfway across the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment