Monday, September 2, 2013

TAYLOR: GOAL-SETTING & MAXIMIZING MY EXPERIENCE IN COSTA RICA

by Taylor King

One personal goal of mine when I study abroad is to become more fluent in the Spanish language.  I want to be fully immersed in the Hispanic, Latin American culture, with natives as well as other international students.  Hopefully if I travel to study in Costa Rica, I wish to volunteer near the University and reach out socially through a volunteer program to meet new people.  I am super excited about this experience; however, I am a bit nervous about my placement due to the fact that it is not one hundred percent that I am going to Costa Rica to study.  This month of September will be the most difficult for me just because of the wait to find out my placement for a new university.  Three things I will be wanting to do to maximize my experience will be to travel to surrounding countries near my placement, learn the native slang phrases and words, as well as bond with my host family to become close and make a forever lasting relationship.  

Being a Spanish major I am required to study abroad; however I have wanted to travel and have known I was going to in the future since I was a freshman in high school.  I have only been to one country since then, but I plan to make a pilgrimage to as many different places as I can on my study abroad experience with there.   Before I go, I would like to learn the money exchange system and more about the most used travel system in the country that I visit whether it is foot traffic, bus, train, or car.  After I get back I would like to learn from my professor and peers how much more Spanish I have learned and if or if not I have picked up any dialect or accent in my Spanish speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment