Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Blog 1: My study abroad goals



I love to travel and have always wanted to go to the Middle East.  As a history major, my main interests are in Middle Eastern history so I looked for a program to accommodate my interests.  I have a passion to learn Arabic and to someday speak it fluently.  My “hunger” is to begin this journey to give me a solid foundation in the language and culture.  It is very much a pilgrimage for me in that I am going to a place I have literally always dreamed of going to.  It is a world of differences that I want to immerse myself into.  It is also the first time I will be traveling alone, and see it as an initiation as a prospective world traveler.

There is much to learn before I go on this trip.  I really want to know what the social, cultural, and physical climates are like so that I can be prepared mentally, and with proper clothing.  It’s extremely hot in Oman during my stay.  While I am there I want to learn the basics of Arabic, obviously, to get a good foundation for future study.  I also want to learn what it’s like to be alone in a foreign culture, and figure things out on your own.  When I return I want to see how much I have overcome and accomplished.  I also want to see the differences, and similarities between the culture here, and the culture in Oman.

My fears about going seem pretty silly.  I am not really afraid of the place I am going to or anything of that nature.  I am just afraid of the physical act of traveling like navigating through airports, and flying on planes.  Other than that, I can’t wait to be leaving for Muscat, Oman in two weeks!!

(Please forgive me for this very late posting of the first blog!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment