Tuesday, December 1, 2015

An American Abroad

Using all the tools that I have been given, I haven’t “discovered” anything new about myself - I have rather just solidified what i have already known. I am very open to everything and have a very inviting personality to all things new. I love trying new foods, making new friends with people from a different background than myself, and talking to others about my experiences as well. I am fairly flexible, although i need to be in the right mindset to enjoy very “go with the flow” situations. I like to have a general idea of what to expect from the future.
Although i may get nervous in some unplanned scenarios, I am very independent and can care for myself. I think that this will help me while in Morocco because of the fact that if i want to do something while there, I am most likely going to do it since i am very motivated to accomplish my goals.
I think my biggest challenge will be the distance between my friends and family here in the US. I only say this because i think that i adjust well into different cultures than my own. even though i’ve not been completely submerged in a different culture, i have been in situations where i’ve got to change my way of thinking to match those around me. I love doing this because it helps me see the world in a different light -- it keeps life very fresh. In order to not get too homesick, I hope to keep myself constantly busy while in Morocco. If i am busy, I won’t notice that i miss home, or at least that is the view i have on the matter. I will certainly have to take note of if this will be the case or not!
I have thought of many different ways that i can learn more about Moroccan culture while anticipating my travel. I have looked into many different extracurricular activities that i can do while there. I hope that while i do some of these, I will get more of an insight to the culture of  Morocco each time.
As far as what i have to bring to the table, I hope that i can truly represent my country for those who have or haven’t met an American before. I really hope that the stereotypes of Americans are not too harsh for me to handle. I know that i will be able to educate those around me with what living in my particular city is like regarding most topics, including economics, business, culture, society, food, slang, and way of life in general.

As the semester progresses and I think about these topics more, I will be sure to comment on them more thoroughly. As of now, I do not want to plunge myself into any preconceived notions that will harm how i adjust to Morocco. I like to go into new situations with an open mind and I fear that if i start daydreaming about Morocco, I will constantly be thinking of the wrong stuff and will either be overwhelmed or disappointed when i arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment