Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Stacey: A Weekend in Buenos Aires

     As if traveling to Uruguay isn't enough of a trip, I am beyond excited to make mini-travels during my time there. My first destination: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA.

     I know that my fellow blogger, Taylor King, will be studying in Buenos Aires during the same time, so it’s my hope that we will meet up for an MC weekend! I’m leaving space and wiggle room in my itinerary for spontaneity. Plus, I’m sure that by the time I visit, Taylor will have some suggestions of where to go, what to do, and how to EAT!


FRIDAY:

I'm going to assume that my classes on Friday will finish by mi-afternoon. So, I used https://www.buquebus.com to find the schedule and prices for taking the ferry from  Montevideo to Buenos Aires. I looked at scheduling about a month in advance, because it seems like all the economy seats are taken until then (note to self: book it early!).

Buquebus round trip: U$920 = about $50 USD
Visa into Argentina: FREE unless I stay 90 days… so FREE!

First stop: THE ROCK HOSTEL!

The Rock Hostel is called that because is located in the start point of the main routes. Is a 1890 building with a huge terrace, wide rooms and common spaces, rebuilt in November 2012 to the best and more rocker hostel in the city. Each room represents a Rock Band like Nirvana, The Ramones, The Doors, etc.
Its a place with great energy where you will enjoy the best music, concerts in our terrace, and lots of activities like BBs , Pizza Nights, Movie Nights, etc.

We provide Argentinian Breakfast, sheets and covers, Internet and WiFi for free, TV and DVD in the Living room, also games and movies. In our rooms we have lockers, heaters and fun, and the best graffiti of the bands.

You will also find a full equipped kitchen available, hot water 24 hours, front desk 24 hours, luggage deposit, touristic assessment and, in our Terrace the barbecue where you will enjoy the best Argentinian 'asados' made by the owner or you can try one by yourself.

Each room represents a Rock Band. One great Argentinian artist made graffiti with the logos of the bands and some stuff that represents them like the John Lennon glasses in The Beatles room, or typical phrases like 'Come as you are' 
Please note:
Cancellation Policy: 24 hours.
Minimum stay: No

Check In time: 24 hours.
Check Out time: 11:00.

Method of payment upon arrival: Cash and Credit Cards.
Breakfast Included.
Taxes included.

The management retains the right to refuse entry.
Do not smoke, drink or use drugs inside the rooms.
Do no make noise after 23 hrs.

I’m curious what they meant by “we have lockers, heaters, and fun”…! Ha!
The cheapest rate is to stay in a room with 9 other people, for about $10. The most expensive is $21 a night.
So, to play it safe,

Hostel price for two nights: $45


SATURDAY:

Walking Map for the Day: http://goo.gl/maps/NQ5mb

First Stop (Morning – Lunchtime): La Plaza de Mayo & Café Literario Osvaldo Bayer

Hipólito Yrigoyen 1584 Congreso
Transport
Line A Congreso, Line A Sáenz Peña
Phone
4382-3261
Hours
noon-9pm

The Madres de la Plaza de Mayo run this small cafe and eatery, in conjunction with their bookstore at their headquarters – a hub of liberal politics where students scan the papers to see if any children of the desaparecidos (disappeared ones) have been located. The cafe is modest, but the atmosphere is unique.
 
Las Madres de la Plaza de Mayo hold demonstrations on La Plaza de Mayo each Thursday. I can’t plan to see the demonstration, but maybe I can still see the historic area, then walk the 2.6 km to their café. Las Madres are the mothers or defenders of los desaparecidos, the “disappeared.” The Mothers still march in protest of the “secret” military torture and killings of young supposed-revolutionaries that happened in South America in the 1970s.
                This is the one stop that I have wanted to make for years – I didn’t think I’d actually get the opportunity to do so, though! The Madre-owned bookstore is located next to the café, so maybe…

The price of a lunch and a book: $20 USD


Second Stop (Mid-Afternoon): Museo Etnográfico Juan B Ambrosetti
Moreno 350
Phone
011 4345-8196
Admission Fee
AR$3
Hours
1-7pm Tue-Fri, 3-7pm Sat & Sun

This small but attractive anthropological museum displays collections from the Andean northwest, Patagonia and elsewhere in South America. Beautiful indigenous artifacts, including intricate jewelry and Mapuche ponchos, are presented, while an African and Asian room showcases priceless items. Tours are available in English and Spanish (call for hours)

                I love looking through museums, and I think anthropology is so interesting… so it’s a perfect fit! It’s cheap, too!

Admission: AR $3 = 50¢ USD


Third Stop (Evening): Cementerio de la Recoleta

Av Presidente Figueroa Alcorta Buenos Aires
Hours
07:00-18:00

One of Buenos Aires' prime tourist attractions is Cementerio de la Recoleta. High walls surround this necropolis where, in death as in life, generations of Argentina's elite rest in ornate splendor. It's fascinating to wander around and explore this extensive minicity of lofty statues, detailed marble facades and earthy-smelling sarcophagi. Follow the crowds and you'll find Evita's grave.
                

     I don’t like the idea of tourist attractions, but I suppose I will be a tourist! Plus, I feel like the morbidity of visiting a cemetery might negate some of the tourist feel. Maybe. I probably wouldn’t want to visit after dark, but I bet it’s possible to squeeze in a pre-dinner visit through the gravestones!

Probably a snack: $5 USD


SUNDAY:

Walking Map for the day: http://goo.gl/maps/fRr5h

First Stop (Morning): Reserva Ecológica Costanera Sur.

                                                                                                                                        Av Tristán Achával Rodríguez 1550
Phone
011 4893-1588
Hours
8am-7pm Tue-Sun


The beautifully marshy land of this nature preserve makes it a popular site for weekend outings, when hundreds of picnickers, cyclists and families come for fresh air and natural views. If you’re lucky you may spot a river turtle or a coypu; bird-watchers will adore the 200-plus bird species that pause to rest here. You can rent bikes just outside the park entrance on the weekends (daily in summer)
.

        Breakfast in a nature preserve – need I say more?!

Breakfast: $7

Final Stop (Lunch until boarding the ferry): Feria San Pedro Telmo
Defensa San Telmo
Transport
10, 22, 29, 45, 86
Hours
10am-6pm Sun

On Sundays, San Telmo’s main drag is closed to traffic and the street is a sea of local families and tourists browsing craft stalls, waiting at vendor’s carts for freshly squeezed orange juice, poking through the antique glass ornaments on display on Plaza Dorrego, and listening to street performances by tango orchestras.

Boy, do I love a good street market. I can plan to pick up all of my food for the day at the Feria, and spend time looking around (maybe finding souvenirs) until I have to leave for the Buquebus back to Montevideo.

For the buying of fancy things and foods,
Feria spending money: $30

Surprise expenses: $30


By the end of the weekend, calculated with wiggle room, I plan to spend a weekend in Buenos Aires, Argentina for roughly $177.50 USD. It’s a whole lot of money in my mind, but I suppose I could come out worse. Hopefully there aren't too many financial surprises for this trip -- I'm ready for plenty of other surprises, though. Woohoo!

1 comment:

  1. I felt like I was reading an airplane magazine "3 days in Buenos Aires" Great job!

    ReplyDelete