Friday, August 22, 2014

Finlandia: The Beginning of an Adventure

Wow wow wow!

I mean seriously, what else can I say than wow?

Well, I mean of course I can say more than that, but it's all about finding the beginning I guess.  So, I'll start where anyone else would, departure:

To put it simply, the flight from TYS to Chicago O'Hare was nothing, very enjoyable, it wasn't until I got to Stockholm that all hell broke loose. I knew I had a 14hr layover, but you don't really know a 14hr layover until you've experienced it.

You get in to the airport tired and bleary, you have to go through customs and get your new flight ticket, you try to figure out the general direction your flight might be leaving from, and then you wander aimlessly finding a nice spot to either sit or lay down. Have to go to the bathroom? Don't forget to drag your 30lbs worth of luggage with you (not your under the plane luggage even) and god forbid you take your eyes off your luggage for even a second because the man over the intercom is constantly reminding you that there are thieves, thieves everywhere! Most importantly, make sure you know the currency for all the places you are stopping at!

I knew that Finland used the Euro, as many countries around here do, but I totally forgot that Sweden doesn't use the Euro, they use the Krona. Mind you, the Krona will make no sense to you at all if you are from the USA.

So, take for instance the idea that you have €15, about $20, (I'm using €15 because the wonderful woman at the currency exchange counter told me if you convert €15 or under you don't have to pay a fee) and you want to get some SEK, which are Swedish Krona. When I did that exact thing I got back 133 Krona. I still look at the little coins I have left over mystified! You know why? Because, even though I had 133 Krona, which sounds like an awful lot, a simple ham and cheese sandwich cost me 68 Krona! I'm not even surprised about the fact that that's a lot of money, it's an airport after all, what I'm surprised about is the fact that 133 Krona sounds like an awful lot, but it really isn't a lot at all when you look at the price of Swedish items.

Anyways, I took the short 45min flight from Stockholm to Tampere and was greeted by a teeny tiny little airport with no one there. I mean, maybe the departure gates are bigger or something, maybe it was because I arrived at night, maybe it was even because I was dead tired, but it looked even smaller than TYS!

I left for my hotel, and trust me, if you ever need a hotel in Scandinavia I totally suggest Omena hotels! It was a little pricey, €77.90 (really not that bad when you think of it), but you really got your money's worth. Two comfy beds pushed together with the ability to fold out two more beds, tea, coffee, a shower and bathroom to yourself, a television, and all the space! I mean seriously, it was so spacious! Don't expect a good view or anything of course, but who cares when it really comes down to it?

Anyways, that was all last night and today has been all about getting myself ready for the school year.  After forgetting to grab my passport and acceptance letter I rode the bus by myself back to my dorm before I picked up my kitchen starter kit (pan, cups, forks, knives, spoons, etc), got a few groceries (forgot an umbrella twice and still don't have one), a new 10meter internet cable (the internet cable connector box is practically on the ceiling on the other side of the room, who does that?!), and dealt with things like my student ID and Student Union fee.

Now as I lay here typing this I'm exhausted. It's only 8pm, but I've done so much and there is still so much to do. I met (actually stopped and talked to, not a passing glance or hello) the guy who lives across the hall from me and his friend who lives upstairs (they're both from Edinburgh, Scotland if you're curious), but unfortunately, as is often the case in my life, I've completely forgotten his name. I remember his friend's name is Michael since I have a friend by the same name who he reminds me of, but for the life of me I can't remember his name and I actually feel kind of bad about that. He's super sweet, and he helped me since I'm not tall enough, even when standing on a chair, to plug in my internet cord. He even invited me to come with him and his friend to the party tonight and a pre-party party he's going to. I was going to go, but when he knocked on my door I backed out. I am just too tired and I had to finish unpacking. Luckily he completely understood and told me he was actually pretty tired too, and if he hadn't already promised he'd show up to the pre-party party to a few people from the same country as him he wouldn't be going at all.

Anyways, I'm going to try to stay up for a little bit longer so I'm not going to bed too early, and tomorrow will be a brand new day~! I'm hoping to go to Ikea (I LOVE IKEA), and generally take some pictures and just relax. There's plenty of time to be busy, I just want to have some time where I'm not rushing or dying from exhaustion haha.

Until then I'll catch you guys later.

Moi Moi~!

Brieana :)

No comments:

Post a Comment