Monday, September 8, 2014

Not All Who Wonder Are Lost


My Goals for my Study Abroad Experience are:

1)      To make it there Safely

2)      Experience the country as a native and not a tourist

3)      Become a more well-rounded world citizen

4)      To make new friends and friendships that hopefully could last a life-time

5)      Become more independent from my parents and friends (not rely on them as much)

6)      Learn the country’s business ethics and strategies

7)      Adapt to the country’s way of life (night life, trips, experiences)

8)      Attempt to dispel some of the American Stereotypes they may have

9)      Learn the Language of the country (hopefully Italian)

10)  Rediscover my love for traveling.

My Feelings about my Impending Journey:

I would assume that I have the basic or generic concerns for a first time traveler out of the country and over an ocean (what if we crash in the ocean, what if they lose my luggage, what if I miss my connecting flight, what if they mess my tickets up, what if the person meeting me doesn’t show up, etc.) All of the questions that can’t be answered until they happen or they don’t happen.  My other fears consist of the usual what if I get sick or fall deathly ill or something bad happens to me? My parents come running over and save the day anymore.  
I worry about the separation from my Mom because we are so close (I’m a mommy’s Girl). As well as the separation from my dog who is the man of my world (plus he has separation anxiety).  I have the fear that I will not like where I go and not have a good experience.  I have the fear that I will not know any one and will be left out or disliked.  I worry and have the fear that I am going to be judged by the way I look or act or even by the things I say or my personality.  I fear that I might just hate being away from those who I know who love me and I trust with everything.  I want to enjoy the trip and I want to live out my dreams put not at the cost of my sanity so-to-say.  I am excited and nervous about where I may go and where my trip will take me.  I want to experience all I can so it makes me ecstatic to realize my dreams of traveling are within reach. 

Three things I Want to do to Maximize my experience:

1)      I want to join organizations and groups to help me immerse myself in the culture and way of life there.

2)      I want gain friends that could last a life-time and connections for my future career.

3)      I want to live out my dreams, so I want to surpass all of my fears and just live my life to the fullest ability I can.

My "hungers" for this trip are:

1)      To try new foods (my literal hunger)

2)      Experience a new country

3)      Travel as much as possible

4)      Meet new friends

5)      Experience the country’s lifestyle compared to ours here in the U.S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment