Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Where in the World?--To Morocco She Goes

I'm going to Morocco!  As crazy as it sounds, it's (almost) true!  I'm beyond excited (a bit nervous too) to go out and experience an entirely new place, people, food, school, religion, and culture.  

Culture shock is not new to me, but it's still intimidating to think about.  I went to Ghana in January, and I was stared at and called obruni and pointed at and everything else we would consider rude in the United States, but it was normal for them.  I'm hoping that my experience in Ghana will help alleviate some of the culture shock I'm bound to experience in Morocco, but it's a completely different place, so it's a whole new ball game.

I have so many goals and plans that I hope to accomplish while I'm abroad, but I'll just list the main ones.
  1. Immerse myself within a culture so different from my own in so many respects.
  2. Better understand the relations between the Middle East (including North Africa) and "Western" countries.
  3. Travel throughout Morocco as extensively as I can (and maybe include other countries in Africa and Spain).
  4. Be comfortable in a foreign place with no friends or family close (in any sense of the word).
  5. Challenge myself to make friends and get out of my comfort zone.
  6. Know when I can and cannot venture out on my own in a foreign place.
  7. Try not to compare Morocco and the people I encounter to Maryville College, the United States, and the people I know back home.

In order to push myself to achieve some of these goals I'm going to force myself outside of my comfort zone as much as possible, take advantage of the opportunities I'm going to have through the institution abroad, and to know my limits and know and be conscious of when I need a break and some me time with a book and some tea.



Morocco seems like such an exciting and beautiful place to travel.  I know that I'm going to make the most out of this experience.  I also know that I'm going to miss my family, my friends, my boyfriend, and my dog (mi perrito).  Some days are going to be really hard, but those are the days when I'm going to have to remember that I'm having an awesome experience and that I can still talk to them and communicate with them, even if it's in small ways like writing on their Facebook walls or something.  I'm also aware that my mother will want to Skype me every day, for at least a little bit, but I'll have to say no because I won't be truly experiencing Morocco and the people I'm encountering if I'm always on my phone with the people back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment