Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Rachel vs. Deutschland

It's happening, folks. I, Rachel Long, am finally embarking on the trip I have been dreaming about since I was a nerdy little high schooler...Germany. I've taken all of the courses, read all of the books, so you would think I would know everything there is to know about good ol' Deutschland...false. I am now realizing that I really have no idea what I'm doing.
Or where I'm going. 
Who I'm going to meet...what I'll do when I'm not studying...and the most important question of all: what I'll eat. 
As the time for my departure for Germany grows closer, I'm realizing how much I really don't know about, well, anything concerning studying in a foreign country. Oddly enough, I'm thankful for all of this uncertainty, because this is an opportunity to genuinely experience something while I'm away. Traveling away from my comfort zone in the hills of East Tennessee is going to be an eye opener to say the very least! Since I've been such a fanatic of the country for so many years I've had lots of time thinking about what it is I actually want to accomplish abroad...
1. Become (somewhat) fluent in German. I've studied the language for years, but I believe true fluency doesn't happen until you literally place yourself in the middle of the language's culture and just speak it. You can with a tape recording all you want, but things don't get real until you've spoken with a native speaker--I think this also classifies as a fear of mine. Fingers crossed I don't accidentally offend someone by saying the wrong word...
2.  Ride the Autobahn--okay, yes, I know this may be really touristy/stereotypical goal from an   American, but how can you deny something as cool as driving through a foreign country at 100mph?! I mean, it's an obvious want  need
3. To go beyond the lederhosen and pretzels...I want to experience the real Germany. Make friends with locals, eat (or at least taste) the food, etc. I want to see the side of German culture that you can't read about in a textbook. There's so much more to this country that I am dying to experience. 
4. Become more independent. This will happen whether I want it to or not...it's honestly inevitable, but a great lesson to learn nonetheless. 
5. Take every opportunity and run with it. I want to travel as much as I can during my semester abroad, so I'm pushing myself to get up and try to do things outside of my comfort zone is the ultimate goal. 

Everything is happening so fast. It seems like just yesterday I was typing up my ISEP application, and I'm thinking about visas? What? 
This past summer I had a lot of time to think about what I will be experiencing in the next few months. Things really hit home when I had to explain to my 9 year old sister that I would be gone for 5 months or more...I honestly didn't expect her to cry, but once I explained to her that Germany lies in Europe and that the possibility that I would be on the same continent as her dream-boy Harry Styles, she was completely cool with the idea. So, no worries there...(But in all seriousness I'm going to miss her...a lot). 


Aside from my family, I'm most definitely going to miss my incredible friends. Although they're extremely supportive of my ventures and this is going to be an incredible time for me to make some new friends, not having the old ones around is 24/7 is going to be a difficult change for me. 
As cliche as it sounds, this is the trip of a lifetime. In order to fully maximize my experience I need to just go. Do things. Step out of my comfort zone and not sit idle emotionally (and physically) while I'm abroad. Instead of just sitting in class silent, I need to make an effort to speak up and try to get to know people. Attend social events. JUST GO AND DO STUFF. I can't stress that simple sentence to myself enough.
It's just me against the world, and I fully intend to take this challenge and run with it. 












  

No comments:

Post a Comment