Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Looking Forward to a Sweet Experience in Sweden

Goals While Abroad
  • Most importantly, I want to ensure that I actually get out and see the country and its people while I'm there. I have a unfortunate tendency of frequently staying inside and refraining from accomplishing anything productive, and I intend to do everything in my power to amend this while I am in Sweden.
  • Ever since the wonderful time I spent in France and Italy while I was in high school, I've heavily considered moving to another country permanently. As one might surmise, Sweden is one of my prime candidates for a home, but I need to evaluate each place I consider in person before making such a drastic change.
  • Despite my previous travels to Europe, I've never actually been able to experience living somewhere other than where I was born for any meaningful amount of time. My extended time in Sweden will hopefully give me some perspective on what it's like living in a foreign environment.
What I Want to Learn
  • As cliche of an answer as it might be, I look forward to honing my skills at speaking a foreign language. I've spent a decent amount of time teaching myself the basics of Swedish, and I want to both test and improve my ability to use it in a genuine Swedish locale.
  • I definitely want to learn more about Swedish history. I've only had a small taste so far from the readings I've done, but it was more than enough to awaken an insatiable hunger for more within me.
  • Once I've returned, I hope I will have adopted an entirely new, expanded way of viewing the world. This would not only make me a more well-rounded person, but also allow me new venues of interaction with other people I didn't previously possess.
How I Will Maximize My Experience
  • As previously mentioned, I intend to travel within Sweden as much as possible while I'm there, and perhaps even to other Nordic countries if circumstances allow.
  • I will try my level best to accomplish all that is required of me by my instructors in a timely manner, not only to maintain/improve my grades and to be a positive representative of my own country, but to ensure I have the free time necessary to make the most of my extra-curricular experience as well.
  • Finally, I will constantly compare Sweden to the United States, to determine which aspects I do and don't prefer about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment