Tuesday, September 9, 2014

???



     It's hard to state my exact goals for studying abroad right now, as its still unknown where I will be placed. My top two choices for next spring are the University of Southern Queensland in Toowoomba, Australia and Edinburgh Napier University in Scotland, and my experience with these two areas is completely different. Most of my family lives on the east coast of Australia, so I've stayed near and visited Toowoomba multiple times. I have friends and family a short drive away and already know the cultural nuances living in Queensland, where as Scotland will be completely new to me. Both have cultures similar to the United States, but vary significantly geographically and historically. This being said, I have area specific goals and expectations. 




University of Southern Queensland

     USQ would be wonderful for me to attend because as an Australian citizen, working in Australia later on in life is a strong possibility and networking while studying here would be invaluable for my future. I would be on my own, but in a somewhat familiar environment with family near by as a safety net. I already know that I love the area and would also love living here for six months or so.
  • I will not depend too strongly on surrounding family, but have them as a support system when needed.
  • I will enroll in engineering, field-specific classes not available at Maryville College.
  • I will join the local rugby union football club in order meet people outside of university.
  • I'm not one who usually enjoys school programs and clubs, but I will strongly consider maybe joining a few.
  • I will enjoy not only local culture, but also push myself to explore the beautiful landscape.
  • I WILL take many trips to the beach and hopefully have one of my cousins teach me to surf.
  • I will try my hardest to step out of my comfort zone in order to make friends.




Edinburgh Napier University

   Because I have never visited the area, I would be getting more of the "travel abroad experience" here. I wouldn't have the luxury of near by friends or family, but I have dreamed of living in this area since I was little. Scotland alone is the reason I began thinking about doing a semester abroad. 
  • I will explore so much of the Scottish landscape.
  • I will meet up with Joni Burrell and we will travel all over together, meaning I will have to save as much money as possible in order to visit the surrounding areas.
  • I will take any engineering classes I can fit into my schedule.
  • I will educate myself on the history of and become fluent with the news of Edinburgh.
  • I will do my best to research my family's history and ties to the area. 
  • I will also join local rugby clubs here to better integrate myself.
    
    I will be elated regardless of where I am placed and aim overall to become a more independent, well-rounded person. And while this is the opportunity of a life time I know that I am going to miss my kitties, dog, and my family, more specifically my dad, the most. Unfortunately, I am going to be even more out of the loop with my dad and sister's inside jokes. I have a bit of experience travelling abroad, so I am not too scared of technical travel related bumps to come, but I sure will be homesick . It will be a struggle not being able to head home, let alone talk to my parents whenever, but I know I will only appreciate them more when I return. 

No comments:

Post a Comment