Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Blog Post 1- My Goals and Personal Agenda- GERMANY

My Goals:

  • Make it to Germany without having a break down
  • Be accepted and be seen for more than an exchange student
  • Put myself out there- meet new people, make friends and connections, and all around grow
  • Become more independent
  • Don't think like an American all the time
  • Be safe, but not too safe (experience things and push myself)
  • Have a successful conversation in German, at least once
  • Go to a Borussia Dortmund football (soccer) game wearing a jersey
  • Travel as much as possible whenever there is free time


My Feelings:
So far it has yet to truly hit me that I will be in another country in just a few months.  I have to keep reminding myself daily by saying it out loud, hoping that will make it seem more realistic.  I know for sure that I am definitely going to miss not only my friends, graduation, but my mom.  She is my rock and she means the world to me.  Just like me, it hasn't hit her quite yet that I will not be in driving distance anymore, or in the same time zone, and it will be hard on both of us when the time comes.  As difficult as it will be to leave, it is something my mom is super supportive of and is really excited for me to have this opportunity.  She knows my love for traveling and new culture and that helps a lot.  Something else I was slightly "ehh" about was missing graduation and senior activities.  When it came down to one day of graduation vs. 6 months in Germany, the winner was no question!
Although it hasn't hit me completely yet, I am incredibly excited, really nervous, but so ready!  I like the idea of being uncomfortable and forced out of my comfort zone, it means I get the chance to grow.  A few things I am worried about is transportation, getting around on my own, and being picked up when I get there.  It will be different riding trains everywhere and making it in time for one!  I am pretty terrified of missing the train and then getting lost in the city.  Pertaining to what I will be doing over there, I am really nervous about student teaching in another country.  I am worried about how far ahead they will be in their education, and if I will be able to adjust.  I am sort of worried also about what qualifications I will have to meet for their student teaching program vs. our program here at Maryville.  I am also curious about where I will be doing my student teaching and the transporting between there and where I live.  So many questions!  One day at a time!



3 Things to Maximize my Experience:

  1. Push myself out of my comfort zone
  2. Make lasting connections
  3. Immerse myself in the culture in every way possible

No comments:

Post a Comment