Monday, September 8, 2014

Blog 1 Why am I going abroad?








Goals/ Personal Agenda

My biggest goals for studying abroad include immersing myself in the culture and getting a different perspective as a student. I want to be able to live the everyday Chilean life. Learn how locals get around, what kind of lifestyle they have, and by staying with a host family I believe the will be able to guide me in the right direction. When I began to research Valparaiso I knew there would never be a dull moment in that city. I really look forward to learning about their art the most, all their streets are covered in colors and I want to learn the meaning behind those pictures. 


On my personal agenda, I want to not only explore Chile, but surrounding countries. If I have the opportunity I would like to visit Argentina, Peru, Bolivia, or even Brazil. I chose a Latin American country not only to perfect my Spanish speaking skills, but to have the opportunity to experience more than one country.

Feelings:

At this moment I am very anxious. I would like to know all the details about where I am going and when I am leaving the U.S. Overall I would say I am scared because although I have traveled outside of the country alone several times it has never been to a place that will be completely new to me. I believe the first few weeks will be the hardest because I will be in a country where I know absolutely nobody. On the flip side I am excited because this opportunity is so amazing, and I want to make the best of the time that I am abroad. I tell myself to think positive because although my support will not be in Chile with me I know my host family and friends I make along the way will be great mentors.

Maximizing my experience:

I will really have to push myself out of my comfort zone and try new things to be able to maximize my experience. I would like to possibly do an internship while I am in Chile. I think that would really get me thinking outside the classroom and gain experience. Secondly, I would like to participate in local activities to help immerse myself into the Chilean lifestyle.Lastly, I want to use my time as wisely as possible so that I can learn as much as possible and experience everything there is. By this I go back to traveling around Latin America. I want to learn about other Latin cultures and also educate others on my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment