Wednesday, October 12, 2016

A Small Town American Girl in the World of Swiss Cheese

Switzerland is known for their knives, cheese, music boxes, chocolate, lace, and clocks. Switzerland is also one very culturally diverse county. They have three national languages and another that is widely spoken. The Swiss have played a major role in worldly innovations (such as the ones above) such as their contribution to medical care, war efforts, and music. 

I was born and raised in a small town in east Tennessee to a middle class family that values christian morals and believes in opportunity. My parents married young and have grown up my sister and I in such a way that embraces open-mindedness and acceptance. 

I am interested to see how the way I was raised is different than how Swiss parents raise their children. I know that each person is their own person but I do believe that the way in which, and the place, plays a great role in the development of their personality. 

I understand that each culture is vastly different (culture being the why and how people think, believe, and act the way they do) and I know that language is a vast and obvious distinction of culture. Because I do not have any background in German (the language that is spoke in Bern), I believe that language will be the most difficult adjustment that I will have to make. Luckily enough, I will have the opportunity to partake in a language course to aide me in learning the language. 

Another thing that will be a culture change is the fact that I will not have a car in Switzerland. In the rural areas that I live in I depend so greatly on my own personal vehicle. It gets me to work, to classes, to the store, and sometimes it's a major hassle. In Switzerland, cars are a luxury. Trains and buses are the casual way of life and I absolutely love trains. Riding on them gives the bystander a look into the culture and the lifestyle of a specific person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment