Monday, December 4, 2017

Vocation- Mackenzie Yaksic

While abroad in Valparaiso, Chile, the biggest vocational skill I want to master is the Spanish language. I wish to this for multiple reasons. The first is simply because it is appealing to any employer, and it will put me above other well qualified people applying for the same job. Perhaps the main reason I want to learn Spanish is because I am thinking of seeking a career that requires extensive knowledge of the language and its origins. Such jobs include ESL teacher, Spanish professor, or some job that deals with international affairs. A third reason I wish to learn Spanish is for personal reasons. I love the language and its grammar, so I want to learn it because it is fun for me.
Another vocational goal I have is to competently work in group settings with those of another culture. By doing this means that I have carefully examined and understood another culture and the differences it may have from my American culture. Culturally competent also means that I have practiced and understand that interactions in other cultures may look different than those in my country.
Lastly, I want to make personal connections within the university with my fellow classmates and professors. Having connections in academics can hold potential for me to return to Valparaíso in future academic affairs. Another area I wish to make personal connections in is YoungLife, which is a Christian organization that is devoted to bringing the news of the Gospel to high school students. It is something I am involved in as a leader here in Maryville, and I wish to broaden my connections within the ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment