Wednesday, March 23, 2016

An American Abroad

     Even though I have never actually been outside of the country, I can definitely say I have experienced having to adapt to new and very different cultures. I grew up in a very liberal and progressive environment. However, I resided in Giles County, Tennessee which is a very rural town that is fairly conservative. Due to this stark contrast of idea and beliefs I became very good at not reacting when I heard something I fundamentally believed to be incorrect. I also learned that trying to argue your point when you are ultimately the minority can be difficult and frustrating at times. I know that while I am abroad I will most likely encounter some opposition to something I believe in, but having grown up facing that situation daily I will do what I have always done. I will remain calm, acknowledge that the person is right in some way and state how I respectfully disagree.
     Also being born and raised in the south, I am prone to saying "ma'm" and "sir" when addressed by someone I respect. These terms ARE NOT UNIVERSAL. I have learned this. I am also very accustomed to my own daily routine which will most likely be turned upside down and around once I am abroad which will probably leave a bit irritated for a while. Another challenge I can imagine is a small language barrier. Although Northern Ireland speaks English, there is a different dialect and vocabulary I will have to adapt to.
     While I am very nervous about being American and in a new country, I really am excited to be an ambassador not only for Maryville College but also the United States. I'm aware that there a great deal of negative stereotypes that some people might have of the United States. I think that as an intellectual who prides himself on learning new things, I will represent my home country and college with integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment