Wednesday, March 23, 2016

An American Abroad

3/23/2016
      Sarah
           Unfortunately I do not have the survey and inventory to directly quote (since they were taken up in class) but i do remember some of the things listed on them. I think that some of my strengths for this new experience will be my willingness to try new things, the fact I do not stress about timing/planning too much, and my friendliness that i can easily turn on. I fell like I have a few weaknesses to worry about as well. I know that I am very shy often. I also need my own space and sometimes I am uncomfortable if a place is too noisy. Knowing these weaknesses I can channel my strengths and overcome/work with my weaknesses.
             I think that Italy will be similar to the US in many ways. I feel like the biggest swift will be going from living in a town to living in a city. The language barrier will be tricky, so I will have to think on my feet and also be prepared that people may look at me like I am stupid. 
             I believe it would be hard to educate others on being an American. Americans, like all cultures, are unique and varied. Things I could teach about the area is bluegrass music, pie recipes, and the beauty of sweet tea. I could tell my Italian friends about myself, but summing up a whole countries personality would be impossible. We are "land of the free" but right now all i see is a group of divided people, politically wise. Italy will be a change. It will be interesting to see the similarities and differences it has with our country. After I come home I will have a more clearly defined America in my mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment