Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Study Abroad Goals

     Remembering all the way back to my fall semester of 2015 when the freshmen class crowded into Lawson Auditorium for the study abroad seminar, I knew from that moment that I absolutely must study abroad. However, it was not until a year later that I would find myself taking the first steps of this journey. While I have been nominated to study at Massey University in New Zealand, I have yet to receive my acceptance package( so much anticipation!). The waiting is totally comparable to being a kid again and waiting on Christmas morning to see what presents are under the tree, only in this case, my present is a trip across the globe and one full of cultural and academic experiences. I have never left the United States of America before so just that is one goal I will be completing, but there are several others that I hope to fulfill as well.
     While I am a mathematics major, my true passion lies in statistics (I know someone is reading this and cringing) especially biostatistics. Unfortunately, Maryville College does not offer a stats major program, only a minor. So, I have settled for Math with Stats and Bio minors. Since Massey is  much  larger than Maryville College, there is a substantial number of classes available not offered at MC. One such class is introductory biostatistics. I love biology and I love statistics, but I have not yet taken a class combining the two disciplines. Having this opportunity is allowing me to fully explore a career concept that I have only dreamed but never had experience in. So one goal I have is to see if biostatics is the career I wish to pursue.
     Another goal I have probably been considering my life is to see myself and my home country from an outsider's eyes. I will be the first person to admit that the United States of America is not perfect and has some serious issues, but I don't know exactly what generalizations or stereotypes other countries have and actually believe about the United States of America. I feel as if I'm very open-minded, and I think getting this global perspective of not only my home country but myself will be an experience of great personal growth. This whole experience will definitely prove to be a source of enlightenment as well as some small conflict with some current preconceptions I might have.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your nomination! Does Ulster offer you the same opportunity? Do you have to revise your goals at all?

    ReplyDelete