Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Study Abroad Goals

Goals for Study Abroad

Studying abroad is something that I have wanted to do more than anything for the past couple years. Unfortunately, this is something I have not been able to actually put into place until now due to playing soccer and scheduling conflicts. Now that I finally have the opportunity to experience this dream I am very excited and also a little nervous at the same time as I will be far away in a completely different culture. However, Not only do I have many goals for studying abroad but I also believe that my experience abroad will help me reach my professional goals.

            My first goal for studying abroad is to improve my fluency and language proficiency as far as Spanish is concerned. Being fluent in another language is something that I always have thought would be a cool skill and asset for life. Therefore, during my trip abroad to Spain, I want to try to speak and learn as much from native speakers as possible. As I’ve heard from my good friend and many others who have went abroad, they have all said to make sure not to be afraid of speaking and making mistakes. Many times people are afraid to get out and talk to natives and speak their first language with other study abroad students because it’s more comfortable. Therefore, I want to try to speak as much Spanish as possible and not regret not making the most of the opportunity.

            Also, as I have a Spanish minor from Maryville and am in the teacher licensure program, one day I would like to be able to teach Spanish. Studying abroad in Spain will give me the opportunity to experience not only the Spanish language but Hispanic culture first hand. My goal is to immerse myself and learn as much as possible about the Hispanic culture and language which I believe will be critical in becoming an effective Spanish teacher. Studying abroad will provide a great opportunity for me to utilize the Spanish language daily which will be invaluable in achieving my future professional goals.

Additionally, this experience will afford me the unique opportunity of living in a country known for its national passion for soccer. Playing soccer is something I have done my whole life and a sport I played here for the past four years. While living in Spain I would like to get involved in some type of soccer league which I believe would also be a great opportunity for immersing myself into the culture and getting to know more people.


As this trip approaches I am sure I will become more anxious and nervous about the opportunity that lies ahead. I know that it will be very challenging and intimidating being so far away in a different culture and language for a long period of time. However, I know that it is incredible opportunity that will make me a better person and allow me to come back with much more knowledge, language skills, and cool experiences to share.

1 comment:

  1. Check out this blog on learning a language abroad: http://thestudyabroadblog.com/steps-to-improve-your-language-fluency/

    ALSO - think about using Spanish before you go too. Start listening to podcasts, soccer games, radio/tv to get used to the accent there.

    ReplyDelete