Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Goals and Fears of going abroad
Sarah Feely

         I have been out of the country 4 times since I was twelve. I feel like I would be used to it by now, but not really. I am gripped with fear at the thought of not seeing my friends and family for four months. I am scared of the fact that I will basically know no one there. But, at the same time I am so incredibly excited.
        My goals are simply: make friends/lasting connections, be comfortable with myself where I am, and take it easy. I also want to learn the language of the country and eat good food etc, but those are my three main goals. My main goal is probably to get out of my comfort zone. I'm sure all blogs say that, it is a difficult task for many people.
        I have high anxiety, so leaving my comfort zone is always difficult. I think that this trip will change me in many ways, hopefully I will be open enough to let it do so. I have the normal fears: losing passport, spending all my money, random volcanic eruption, the usual. The pros outweigh the cons. I wish I went aboard my junior year, but better late than never. I want to make this is the best experience, i don't know when I will have another chance to leave my country for fun/learning.
       To maximize my experience:
1. I want to travel across whichever country I go to.
2. I want to make sure not to stress too much over money, but not go crazy.
3. I want to explore my city and know it like I know my hometown.
4. I want to not stress over planning every little thing (a bad habit of mine).
     I am over the moon to begin my great journey to go abroad. Listing my goals and fears has helped me a lot. I figure this class with help me a lot.

1 comment:

  1. Living like a local is a great goal (and ISEP's slogan!), and Sacro Cuore is great at supporting students. Think about what knowledge, skills and attitudes you want to gain. Do you have academic or vocational goals to achieve?

    ReplyDelete