Wednesday, October 11, 2017

An American Abroad

First Long-Tern Experience Abroad

By taking these surveys, I learned a lot about myself. I learned about the things I value, the ways in which I choose to work, and my reactions to potential events around me.
A strong positive trait I think I have pertaining to adapting to a new culture is my ability to learn through simply observation. I am good at picking up social and interpersonal cues in situations, and I can adequately adapt to those cues. I will use this in many social settings in my country. These things include the common greetings people use for others, the ways to appropriately interact with people with whom you have differing relations with (i.e. professors, family, friends, strangers).
I would say a weakness of mine when it comes to cultural adaption is my unwillingness to "go with the flow" in certain situations. I put emphasis on being punctual, I enjoy working alone on homework assignments and studying, and I can occasionally dislike when things don't go as planned. For these things, I will need to constantly remind myself to be patient, take a deep breath, and react in a logical way. I will remind myself of my situation, that things may change quickly or drastically, and that I am completely immersed in a whole new culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment