Monday, May 2, 2016

Living like a local (make up post)

To live like a local, I plan to try and experience as much of what Hirakata city has to offer. Be it shops, food, or everyday commutes, I want to try it all. I want to see the mythical vending machines that dispense ramen and hot drinks. I want to see just how far public transportation can take me. I want to try foods I can't even pronounce. I want to make friends with my fellow students and my teachers, and get involved in activities that interest them.

But aside for the above tourist-y behavior, I do want to try and get involved in the local community. I plan to do volunteer work, as mentioned in previous posts. I think the easiest way to get to know a community and a culture is to acquaint myself with the troubles the community faces. If you can get to know something at its most vulnerable, I think that is when you can really understand it.  I'm going to be getting involved with a volunteer club on campus, which I think is a great way to both make friends, and get to know the community.

Ray Cleavenger

No comments:

Post a Comment