Friday, May 13, 2016

Vocation

Study abroad is going to be an amazing opportunity to gain experiences which will help me in my future vocation(s).  Right now, I am studying writing and communications as well as literature. While at the University of Essex, I will take several writing and literature classes.  A marketable writer is able to write in a variety of contexts, and by taking creative writing non-fiction, I will be applying my writing skills to a genre I have never had the opportunity to try.  Although we have a creative writing non-fiction course at Maryville, I was unable to take the class because of a course requirement conflict. Having the opportunity to take this class abroad will definitely help me in my career.
The University of Essex also has a Creative Writing Centre, which I will definitely take advantage of while I am studying there.  It offers a place to research for my writing.  The school also boasts an amazing array of professors who have experience being published playwrights, poets, song-writers, novelists and even travel writers! I hope to meet and attend classes with as many of these professors as I can, so I can gain the knowledge I need to start a successful career in writing. Another one of my goals for this trip is to really figure out what it is I want to do with my writing skills. I've interned with marketing departments; I've written blogs; I've published poetry and worked on newspapers, but I've never really decided on one thing I would like to do. As someone who has never traveled internationally before, I'm also hoping this experience will help me decide how much travel I want to do in my career and how best I can accomplish the travel I want to do without sacrificing my career choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment