Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Study Abroad: Universitie de Caen

My goals for studying abroad at the Universitie de Caen are, first and foremost, to gain knowledge and understanding of the French language. From there, I hope to carry out or make easier the goals that follow. A second goal of mine is to be more culturally aware of a country's history that is not my own. To do this, I plan on visiting France's historical monuments and well-known landmarks. So not to miss out on the lesser known or "labeled" bits of France's culture, I hope to travel and visit bookshops, cafes, and other enjoyable areas that may be off the beaten path. Using the train system, I hope to see as much of France as possible by taking weekend trips to visit other areas. I do not want to limit myself to France only, though France is my main focus. I would also like to see other countries that surround France if given the opportunity.
 This upcoming travel experience could not be more highly anticipated for me-nor more nerve-racking. I have never lived outside of Tennessee and, furthermore, I have visited very few states and no other countries aside from my own. Caen is situated in Northern France, and I will be going in the spring semester. Because Winter is the most difficult season for me to cope with, I know that I with struggle to handle the colder temperatures at that time of the year. Despite my fears of getting lost in a foreign country and being unable to understand the people that surround me, I feel that to immerse myself in the country's rich culture gives me no other choice than to learn and grow with experience.
I am unsettled about being away from my family for a long period of time. I am very close with my nephews and niece, and at their young ages, I know that I will be missing out on their landmark achievements such as learning to walk and talk. This personal attachment I have with them both discourages and encourages me to go. This trip will allow me to grow in ways I have not been given the chance to, and I will be exposed to the world in a way I have never been. In going away, learning, and coming back, I hope to bring with me knowledge that will also help my niece and nephews in their lives.
This study abroad experience will be something I have never encountered, and I look forward to the challenges that I will be faced with.

1 comment:

  1. Very thoughtful! We will talk about this in class, but think about the elements of culture you will want to learn about that go a little deeper than what you can explore as a tourist. As you learn about French Culture, what can you learn about the people, what they believe and why, why their society works the way it does, what they value...

    ReplyDelete