Tuesday, April 11, 2017

An American Abroad

Segi-sensei was the first one to introduce me to the idea of a "high-context" vs "low context" language. She explained how Japanese was a language that formed hierarchies of speech based on relationships between speakers. In other words, you have to be aware of your age, status, role, and familiarity with your listener before a single word comes out of your mouth.

Now that I have a better understanding of what high context and low context means, it's no surprise that I found Japanese formalities and speech patterns intimidating, if not uncomfortable. American English is one of the most low context languages on the planet. And low context as a concept even extends beyond language to include aspects of American culture such as individualism, punctuality, and self-reliance.

My mission for the fall semester is to prepare myself for the high context language and culture of Mexico, while acknowledging that I can also share my American perspective now that I've been able to recognize inherent values I hadn't noticed before. For instance, I value punctuality and thriftiness with money. Punctuality will be valuable for getting to class on time and meeting deadlines, but if Mexican culture is more laid back about keeping up with time restraints then I'll have to adapt to that.

I can also tend to be a chronic introvert. I'll have to challenge myself to avoid spending too much time alone so I don't miss out on opportunities to make lifelong friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment