Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Blog 3: Academic Differences

Blog 3: Academic Differences

When it comes to the workload in Japanese colleges, I've heard it's not as intense as American colleges. I've been told high school in Japan is much more difficult than going to university in Japan. I don't think I'll have a close relationship with the professors compared to some of the relationships I have with professors on the MC campus. Expectations of the students will remain relatively the same. In Japan, usually the teacher does most of the talking and the student just listens. Since I'm taking a language class with other non-native speakers or foreigners, I'm not sure what exactly to expect.

Japanese credits and American credits are the same (1 Japanese credit = 1 American credit). However, the grade system in Japan is a bit different than the one here at MC. Here is what it looks like:
80-100 = A
70-79 = B
60-69 = C
0-59 = F

We will have class approximately 19 hours a week. I will take Japanese Language class for 90 mins eight times a week for six weeks, Japanese Studies for 90 mins twice a week for six weeks, and Japanese Art classes for 90 mins once a week for six weeks. I will get six credits for my summer program in Nanzan, and it will transfer as six credits for MC.

My program offers interaction with Japanese students through The Japan Plaza, which is a place where I can converse with the students in only Japanese. It will be open from 12:45 to 5:45 PM on weekdays. A teaching assistant will also be available to help me if needed.

That's about it for now! 👋 

No comments:

Post a Comment