Wednesday, April 5, 2017

An American Studying Abroad

One of the more attractive qualities of my internship abroad is that I also get to take a course. The best part about being able to take my course is that I will still be under a United States system. Anglo-American University is an American college in Prague. The difference between Maryville College and Anglo-American University is the number of people who are from different nationalities. The university uses the same credit system, the same grading system, and similar workloads.

I will be exposed to multiple cultures and approaches to scholarship. The faculty is composed of instructors from twenty different countries. It is possible that my professors will be from Czech Republic, Israel, or Austrailia. Their class sizes are capped at twenty-five, with some courses being capped at twenty or even fifteen.

The school is a much younger institution than Maryville College, so it does have fewer programs. The programs, however, are all geared toward students learning within an international community.
It is encouraged that students interact with students from countries other than one's own. There are over seventy countries represented in the student body. Interacting with those who are from a different culture seems as though it will be very easy at AAU.

Another difference between my home institution and my host institution is the operation of academic services. While tutoring is student-led at Maryville College, tutoring is done by professors. There is a set of lecturers who offer their time in their areas of specialization. They have a set schedule for them to be present and available for students. I look forward to taking advantage of this while completing my full-time Summer schedule of six credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment