Wednesday, September 20, 2017

First Blog Post: Studying Abroad in Spain
I want to go abroad to learn more of other countries cultures. I believe this leads to better communication between people and therefor it leads to better understanding between whole cultures. I think the best agenda to have while going abroad is to be open to any and everything the culture has to offer. This could be slang in a language to a certain type of food that looks gross, but the main thing to me is to try everything once. I want this experience to get me out of my comfort zone. I have never had a problem speaking to new people, but this will be a new experience completely.
When I first applied for study abroad I was nervous, and I did not know what to think about the future at that point, and up until my placement I had mixed feelings. Then I got my placement, and at that point I was so excited it seemed meant to be. I could not be happier to be able to have this opportunity to go study in another country. Even more specifically Spain. I have had an affinity for Europe ever since I was able to go with the Maryville College Men’s Soccer Team to Germany and Italy. That was an experience of a lifetime, and to be able to go back to Europe will be an amazing experience since I will have a whole semester opposed to just two weeks.

The three things I would like to do are going to be generic, but at the same time the will be key to getting the full experience in Spain while I am there. First off, I would like to speak 80% Spanish every week while I am there. My Spanish is advanced at the moment, but I would like to turn that into fluent by the end of the trip. Secondly, I would love to go to a La Liga game while there, and this is due to my affinity for soccer, but also for the love the culture of Spain has built around soccer. What better way to learn about Spain then through how they play soccer in person. I have been told you can learn a lot about a country from the way a country’s people play a sport. Hopefully this can give me some experience I have not had before. Along with that goal, I would love to play soccer for a club team, or just pick up while I am there. Lastly, I need to travel the country. Like in America, even in different countries there are different sub-cultures within the country. I would like to try and experience most of the sub-cultures of Spain while I am there, so I can make the most out of my trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment