Wednesday, March 11, 2015

An American Abroad!

How much do you really know about yourself?

     Previously in class, we participated in a self-audit and I realized that I was a very flexible and an open person, but my independence was very lacking.  Also I am considered a "high-context" person.  In class we looked in depth into the meanings and how these play a role into the study abroad experience.  Honestly, I have never heard of high and low context, but the fact that I am considered a high context person does fit with my personality/traits.
     Some challenges that I think I may encounter while being abroad is not being able to communicate with some of the natives as quickly, or being able to find my way throughout the city.  I think that my strengths such as my high openness will help me overcome these challenges.  Of course, there are other ways to prevent this problem by practicing my Spanish-speaking and listening skills.
     "Being African-American."  I would like to inform others about how to not be subjected to labels or stereotypes, and to be more accepting to diversity.  I think that the high-context would allow me to create new activities to inspire them into this new culture.
     In order to deepen my insight on my host country, I should read up on recent news and activities and just have a very open attitude to the whole thing. (Think of it as my home!)  I want to learn a lot about their culture and their music.
                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment