Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Exploring the World of Vikings

One thing that is always associated with Nordic people is their history as vikings. There are a variety of tourist attractions catered to people that want to know more about how the vikings lived way back in the day. I am one of those people that wants to know how the vikings lived way back in the day.

At Södertörn University, I will be in Stockholm, and the "Viking City" known as Birka is quite near the city. Because I'll be so close to Stockholm (I'll only be 20 or so minutes away from the campus), I'm not planning on spending the night anywhere since my room will be so near - and because all of the hotels and hostels nearby are super expensive!

As I poked around Birka's website, which is here, I found the perfect tour - it's an all day adventure that includes a guided tour (in both English and Swedish) of Birka, access to a viking museum, and a round trip ticket between Stockholm and Birka. The best part? It's only 380SEK, which is only $45. I highly doubt food will be included with this cost, though, so I'll probably allot 250SEK ($30) or so for food if need be.

Hopefully I'll be able to gather up a group of friends and we'll all be able to learn about the vikings that used to roam around Sweden and the other Nordic countries! I haven't booked my trip yet and I'm already excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment