Thursday, March 15, 2018

An American Abroad

Even though New Zealand is a relatively similar culture to the U.S., it is halfway across the world and I have never interacted with anyone from New Zealand, so more subtle cultural identities would be new to me. Because I scored more on the open-minded end of the spectrum, I can more easily connect with New Zealand’s culture because I am willing to experience new things. I am also detail oriented and have already started to research activities around Wellington. For example, when looking for a cheap meal option in the city I came across an organization with a local university that offers a five-dollar yoga class and dinner afterward. 
However, I am more introverted and am still working on my independence so this trip will test my ability to advocate for myself and proactively solve problems as they come plus feel comfortable possibly exploring on my own. I also do not have much solo travel experience, making navigating busy international airports, and a new city challenging. I want to show the people I meet that being an American to me means respecting others from all backgrounds and listening to their perspectives. It means taking care of the environment and working personally and with the community to make lifestyle changes that benefit the planet. I want to convey that Americans can be empathetic and self-aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment