Monday, March 26, 2018

Blog 2: An American Abroad

In the next year I will need to adjust to two very different cultures, not only from each other but also from America. As such, I will receive a lot of experience on how to adjust. My biggest strength is my self-reliance. As long as I have myself, I can do just about anything. I've never felt homesick, though I don't have enough experience to know for certain. My other strength is in my flexibility. When conflicts and issues inevitably arise, I'm sure I can adjust and manage them wisely. However, this leads into my biggest weakness, my experience. I don't have enough experience living in different cultures and places to know exactly how I'll feel. I'm excited and believe I will thrive, but I'm not confident in myself, especially when it comes to the level of Spanish that will be required in Argentina. Everyone says it is an adjustment that takes time, and I'm sure I will be able to do so, though I don't know how long or how painful that will be for me. I'm also very introverted, so it'll take some effort to get me out of my comfort zone to where I can immerse myself fully. To combat this, I will make sure to practice when I can and be more flexable when it comes to reaching out to others for help when it is necessary.
As an American, I might stand out a bit in these countries, in particular Japan. However, I am excited to not only learn from others but to help others learn and to be a proud ambassador of America. I feel as though both places have more contrast than not; my more open and nonchalant attitude will fit better in Latin America than Japan. Since I've only really lived in the States for my entire existence, it is difficult to know what people think on the outside. I'm interested in seeing others initial perceptions of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment