Monday, March 26, 2018

An American Abroad

     In preparing to go abroad I feel very prepared for whatever comes my way.  I believe that my independence and openness to try new things will be very helpful with the new cultural aspects Costa Rica will bring me.  I feel this will help me in falling into the day to day aspects of life with a lessened need for "outside interactions" with others, but will also allow me to comfortably interact with others as I chose to.  However, I feel that my flexibility may be something I will struggle with (ie timeliness and need for detailed information). 
     I believe I bring many strengths with me when it comes to international travel and abroad assignments.  I have traveled around the world via my time in the military and have developed the ability to adapt quickly to new environments.  This familiarity to uncomfortable situations and excessive moving have set me up with many ways to breach new cultures and unfamiliar areas confidently and respectfully.  In entering this new culture I do not feel uncomfortable or nervous, but excited and prepared.
     I do understand there will still be many challenges for me, as there are in all new cultural situations.  I believe the biggest problems I will have is the language and cultural norm barriers (not knowing how things operate daily).  My plan of action in dealing with this is to utilize my home-stay family in my personal time.  I plan to try to integrate myself with them very quickly no matter the situation.  I feel that the home-stay family is a great tool to use in better understanding the cultural norms and language barrier.  I believe being able to not only interact with the home-stay family, but also watching them interact with their surroundings will allow me to quickly take aim at better understanding the obstacles I will face.
     As an American abroad I intend to teach and educate as much as I learn.  I am very open to talking about myself and my culture and hope for the opportunity to return the favor of educating others.  I think my actions will show those I interact with that we are not that different and hold many of the same norms and values, but in different locations.  I hope to show those around me positive aspects of my own character as well as positive identifiers of the American culture such as a strong work ethic, intellect, curiosity and pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment