Thursday, March 29, 2018

Blog 1

By studying abroad in Northern Ireland, I would benefit academically, professionally, and most importantly, personally.
In terms of academics, I have plans on taking classes that are not offered at Maryville College. We do not offer an Environmental Science major at Maryville College; our class selection is very limited. I will be taking classes that would otherwise not be available to me if I stayed on campus next fall.
In addition to this, I plan on improving in my field professionally. I will be networking with fellow scientists abroad. Science is a universal language that I have the opportunity to communicate in Northern Ireland. The school that I am attending is known for their STEM credibility, which is essential for me as a Biology major. I also intend on getting my Tier 4 Student Visa to then volunteer abroad. I’m getting my nonprofit professional certification after I graduate Maryville College because I ultimately want to work for or manage a nonprofit organization dedicated to a more ecofriendly world. I already have connections with a nonprofit on the outskirts of Belfast thanks to a professor of mine, Dr. Threadgill. This will allow me to see how nonprofit organizations function abroad in terms of fundraising, need, and marketing.
As for personally, I would like to broaden my perspective and question by boundaries as an American. I feel as if I have lived a conserved life where I was often times told what to believe without explanation, which I found very interesting. Now, I can then challenge these beliefs of mine with another cultures. I hope to find common ground with people to then get a bigger sense of how the world truly operates.
Even though I may seem like I have it figured out and that I’m ready to conquer the world, I’m not. I’m actually pretty nervous to leave my family. My parents and grandparents aren’t in the best health condition. So I feel as if I may be so concerned with them that I don’t experience Northern Ireland to its full potential. I hope I’m not too consumed on facetime.
In addition to the previous things that I have mentioned that I plan on doing, I hope to travel every chance I get, truly learn about the in and outs of their culture, and make lifelong friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment