Monday, March 26, 2018

An American Abroad

An American in Costa Rica

When I took the Self-Audit, this is how I ranked myself: (1) Openness (2) Independence and (3) Flexibility. I am strong in the openness spectrum because I have always been good at interacting with different types of people and I don't mind answering questions regarding myself. I find people extremely interesting, so this will be helpful when it comes to learning about and adapting to the culture in Costa Rica. 

That being said, I am not as strong when it comes to flexibility. Although I enjoy meeting new people and spontaneous situations, I am not comfortable dealing with vagueness or having a lack of detailed information. This will be a challenge to me. I will have to learn to go with the flow and just embrace the moments as they come. 

A few strategies I will use to help me while I am abroad, is finding a common ground within our cultures. I plan on bringing a book or coloring book for whenever I get overwhelmed so that I will have an outlet. Another thing I would like to do is engage in a lot of outdoor activities. Hopefully this will get me out of my comfort zone while enjoying the natural beauty of Costa Rica. They are very strong in their conservation of nature and I love that! 

Overall, I would say that I characterize myself as independent, individualistic, curious, and accepting. These qualities will help me in terms of understanding my own culture in comparison to the one I am living in. I will bring these qualities with me and continue to respect the one qualities of those I meet in Costa Rica.

No comments:

Post a Comment