Monday, March 19, 2018

Blog 2: An Independent Introvert Abroad

Probably the most startling thing I discovered about myself in the culture surveys was how strongly I align with low culture. Fortunately, I'm going to the UK (another low culture country), where this is a strength and not a hindrance. A lot of the traits of low cultures are attributes about myself that I consider to be tools as I prepare to travel abroad; I am direct, punctual, happily independent, and able to be aloof when the situation demands it, but also able and willing to participate in small-talk. My American straightforwardness helps me cut through to the information I need when something is unclear. 

My introversion is a potential concern when traveling abroad, as it could prevent me from speaking up or stepping outside my comfort zone of solitude to make new friends. However, I am outgoing enough to ask for directions or advice (I'm the kind of person who asks a waiter what he or she likes best on a restaurant's menu if I'm not sure what to order). I will be making a conscious effort to make sure that my introversion doesn't keep me from missing out on any experiences while abroad. One way to counter this is to use my skills at planning and researching to pre-plan excursions and adventures so that I'll already know what I want to do. I'm hoping to do considerably more research before the summer, to find restaurants, museums, markets, etc. to explore; by digging deep into TripAdvisor in preparation for past trips, I've found some real gems, and have found that I feel better equipped to avoid tourist traps when I can read local opinions before I travel. 

More than being American, I'm looking forward to educating my new peers about my identity as an Appalachian. Any opportunity to redirect misconceptions about "hillbillies" and "rednecks" is exciting for me as an App'n Studies minor. My accent is a quick giveaway whenever I'm out of the Southern states, and it opens doors for conversations about what people think about Appalachia and where their assumptions originated. I'm planning to take a daytrip to Cardiff, and I'm excited to explore the connections between Wales and Appalachia, as both were historically exploited for their natural resources, leaving behind poverty and stereotypes. Being a native Appalachian helps me to access these concepts, even outside of my own native region. 

I know that my experience abroad will reveal a variety of vulnerabilities I didn't know I had, but I think the culture surveys are helpful in showing me examples of how I can deal with those issues as they arise; knowing how to play to my strengths and sidestep my weaknesses is an important tool that I can implement as new scenarios crop up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment