Thursday, February 8, 2018

Blog 1: Goals


    Why do I want to go abroad?


      A main driving force behind me wanting to study abroad is the fact that I really want to expand upon my independence. Even though I've been living without my parents for two and a half years now, I have still been living with roommates. Studying abroad would put me in the position of fending for myself more than I already do now.

      Another reason I want to study abroad though, and even part of what I hope to get out of it, is to possibly get some background in the psychology field dealing with criminal cases since a possible career choice for me could be as a Forensic Psychologist. As a forensic psychologist, working in and around the court room and judicial system would be a component of the job. Studying abroad for a class that deals with the psychology of murder and murderers would certainly be right down that alley. 

      While in London, I also really want to be able to walk around the city and just kind of live like a college student while there. I want to be able to "live like a local" for just a few days and go to class and maybe meet a few other people doing exactly what I'm doing. I want an experience that I've never really had before, even having travelled abroad in the past.

     What do I want to learn?


      An easy answer to this question would be that I want to learn about the psychology of murder and murderers, and gain some type of background for a potential future career. If I were to break the question up into three parts though, such as: before I go, while I'm there, and after I return, I would have more than a simple answer.

      Before I go to London and begin my study abroad, I'd like to learn more about the culture of the area, and maybe even a bit about their political system. I've paid attention to their current political climate a bit, but if I'm going to be living there for a month, maybe I should learn a bit more. I'd also maybe like to look into how they conduct university courses since I will be taking one.

      While I'm in London studying abroad, I'd like to be able to learn to find my way around the immediate area and establish a type of "home base" so to speak. I'd hope by the end of my trip that I'm still not relying on map directions for every single thing. I'd also like to of course be able to take concepts that I'll have learned about and apply them to my life and the future.

      Coming back from studying abroad, I'd like to learn the ways that I have clearly changed. Obviously I'll know more things coming back than I knew going there, but I'd like to realize that I don't need to rely on my parents for everything, or even the friends that I currently live with. I'd like to see that I've made personal growth while overseas.

    What are my fears?


      If I had to give names to my fears and make them real, I would say one of them would be something bad happening while I'm in the U.K. As in, some major geopolitical event happening that would immediately affect me. And realistically, am I in any more danger going to the U.K. than I would be going to New York City or South Florida, hopefully not. 

      A more rational fear that I have about studying abroad though is probably just the aspect of going there and not really acquainting myself with anyone in the month that I'll be there. Being alone combined with the inevitable feeling of homesickness in the back of my mind has made me question about whether I wanted to apply in the first place, but I'm hoping that these two "what-ifs" are just fears, and won't hold any merit once I really get into the thick of it in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment