Sunday, February 11, 2018

Study Abroad: New Adventure!

What do I want to accomplish?

I love cultures. I could talk about cultures and their differences all day long! This is one of my biggest motivations about going abroad. Life wasn't meant to be lived in one place, and I have never been associated with Asian culture, so both are great reasons to go abroad! I am just very curious about their culture and the whys and hows behind their traditions and their people. Another very big motivation for me is to learn their language. I want to minor in Japanese so there is nothing better than immersing in the language's culture in order to learn it well. Considering all of what I have written before, my main goals are to:
1. Learn about the culture and their people
2. Grow as a person
3. Learn Japanese as much as I can to the point where I can be fluent in everyday conversations

Feelings about Study Abroad

When I think about Japan I get mixed feelings since I am very excited about a new adventure, getting to know new people and learning about a new culture.  At the same time, I am worried about money and having enough of it during the semester. I am somewhat scared about how far it is, but I know that once I am there it will be fine and I will get used to the place. When it comes to the cultural differences, I have no expectations and I am just ready to absorb everything and learn about their social structure and traditions.

Three things I want to do to ''maximize my experience" 

1. Never judge anything that I see or learn
2. Be open to trying new things
3. Do my best to learn their traditions so that bonds between Japanese culture and mine are more easily made

No comments:

Post a Comment