Monday, February 12, 2018

To Italy and Beyond!: Preparing for my First Overseas Experience

In November I came across an advertisement in MC Today about a chance to study abroad in Italy.  I've always had an interest in Italy with its architecture, natural beauty, and its presence in world history.  This was a change for me as I didn't think I would have a chance and the first time I really considered going abroad.  My intuition said "Go for it!" so I went ahead and took that leap.

While I am in Italy I will be adding pages to my story regardless of what happens.  First and foremost I want to capture memories.  Exploring the city of Florence and the Tuscan Region will allow me to truly begin to see the world for myself.  Although domestic adventures are exciting, I can't say for sure if that completely fulfills me with a sense of joy and accomplishment.  Crossing oceans breaks a barrier and takes courage. 

For 2018 to keep me focused on whatever goal I choose, I decided to keep a word and Bible verse of the year.  I chose this year's word to be "confidence" and the corresponding verses to be Psalm 27:13-14.  I choose to be confident that I can break out of my shell and move forward without hesitation.  Through this experience I want to see new perspectives through my own lens and take further steps to becoming an independent and confident human.

This will also be the first time I will attend a school focused on the arts.  This will be a transition as I am a STEM Major who doesn't have the time to explore much beyond the major and core curriculum.  Through this experience I want to create art through visual design or a healthy lifestyle, whichever class I end up enrolled in.

I am excited for the sunsets, sunrises, and watching history come to life.  As an Assassin's Creed fan, I'm interested to see for myself how accurate Florence is represented from a design standpoint.  I'm anxious for airplanes and navigating airports.  The questions rolling through my head go along the lines of "What do I do if I can't figure out where I am going?"  "What if I somehow miss my flight or misinterpret signs?" "Claiming and transferring baggage?"  These thoughts overwhelm me yet are essential in a successful travel experience.  I feel relieved that Florence is relatively safe.  I'm nervous, in contrast, about the potential of pickpockets as I have a tendency to zone out often.  I know I must be more alert, but not come off as paranoid.  As a person with deadly food allergies, I am also nervous about not triggering an allergic reaction.  I'm excited to spend three weeks away from the life I know.  Lastly, I feel ready to cross the ocean to feel that sense of accomplishment.  The unknown is intriguing.  The only way to know what it is like is to experience it yourself.

To maximize my experience, I do not want to stay in the city of Florence.  I want to explore the countryside and the coast.  A former teacher and coach recommended that I visit Cinque Terre, and after seeing pictures, it affirmed my desire to see such site.  The second way I want to maximize my experience is to meet people with backgrounds different than mine.  The way I see it is that if you want to explore, you need to understand and feel compassion for those you meet.  In the United States where most of us are more or less the same, it's much more difficult to truly become aware of one's background.  Abroad, their background surrounds you.  Lastly, to maximize my experience, I want to connect with the city I will call home for three weeks.  I want to attend local events, learn its history and experience, and connect with the city's people.  Immersing yourself is the best way introduction, showing that you're eager to learn, grow, adapt, and acquaint.

Through my passions, this trip will bring me one step closer to that well-rounded mind I want to have for myself.  Everyone has a story, so make yours significant.

No comments:

Post a Comment