Monday, February 12, 2018

South Africa Service Abroad

During the course of this service abroad trip, I am wanting to gain practical experience in business-analytics-related information management. As mentioned on ISA’s site, this opportunity in Cape Town has open position working on IT related tasks at their civil rights non-profit. Along with gaining practical experience in this field, I fully intend on experiencing the culture of South Africa. This includes hiking the nearby area and getting a feel for the local geography (Table Mountain, etc), as well as seeing famous destinations in the province.
I am very excited for this trip, however, I am also somewhat nervous. The aspect of traveling doesn’t bother me. However, the extreme water shortage in Cape Town does. With a high potential for civil unrest in this part of the country, I am wondering if a Mad Max situation could occur over the local water supply (haha). Despite this, I still fully intend on going.
I intend on 1) Getting to know my colleagues who are locals, 2) Getting their advice on cool activities to do in Cape Town,  and 3) Taking their advice. Indeed, the only way to live like a local is to get advice from one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment