Thursday, February 8, 2018

Blog 1: Goals


 During my service learning abroad experience in New Zealand, I hope to accomplish many personal, professional, and academic goals. This trip will not only fulfill the goal of completing my SPE, bringing me closer to graduation, but also to my biggest goal of learning more about my dream career as an Art Therapist. I will be able to observe and connect with licensed professionals in the field at an Art Therapy community center in Wellington. I am also excited to get the chance to expand on the confidence and independence that my first international experience instilled. This experience is a chance to truly learn how to live independently and experience all the triumphs and hardships that come with independence without the safety net of having parents close by. I want to prove to myself that I can make it on my own in a foreign city and thrive.
While I am excited about the independence solo travel will bring, I am also a little afraid of having to navigate the journey to New Zealand on my own. The last time I travelled internationally there were major problems with the flights to the destination and home. At one point, one of the planes home had been cancelled three times. I was very lucky to be with a relative seasoned in international travel. However, I won’t have that sense of security travelling to Wellington, and I and concerned that I won’t be able to navigate delays or cancellations. While in New Zealand, I am excited to be working in the field I plan to pursue as a career, but I also have the small fear that while there I may decide that the field is not for me and some re-evaluations will have to take place. Concerns aside, I am very excited to explore Wellington and all the sights the city has to offer like the beach and harbor, botanical gardens, and the famous night markets.
            To truly maximize my experience, I want to be able to explore the city with a local to see what daily city life is like. I also want to be able to travel to other places on the north island like Auckland. A major enhancement to the experience would also be to learn about New Zealand’s history and culture, especially the Maori peoples’ culture and traditions.



No comments:

Post a Comment