Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Blog 8-Vocation-Mary Beth Spitler

Literally the second after reading the blog prompt for this week I thought to myself, “Wait a second, is someone trying to be a sneaky wee cat here by reposting an earlier prompt?” Then I realized that although we have never been specifically asked to answer the question: “How will this next semester help me reach my vocational/career and other goals?,” our entire course has been centered around this thought for months. It’s here! The very last blog prompt! Now I have time to focus on more important things like….oh wait. I’m leaving for the UK when the semester is over. WHAT. That’s a pretty scary thought. So that’s like 39 days. Or 936 hours. Or 52,565,760 seconds. Ok so I’m totally going overboard here and having a freak-out moment while doing a good job of completely avoiding answering the question that suddenly brought upon my panicky feelings. So as I was prompted to write…
In reality, Napier University is (ready for some awesome imagery?) the key that will unlock the door of a learning experience to reveal more than I had ever dreamed of learning. From my first step off the plane in January -  when I arrive -  to May  -  when I plan to depart with my heavy, bulging luggage, I know that without a doubt I will have just experienced the most developmental five months of my life so far, both emotionally and mentally. 
On an academic level, I have spent very long, very tedious hours grouchily looking up classes that would pair with Maryville College courses so that my semester credit hours would transfer back for core and major requirement credit. I arrived as a freshman here with seventeen elective credits, and I don’t need another single one of those babies. My advisor, who was only trying to set me up for success, asked me to re-compare Napier classes to Maryville College classes three times. THREE TIMES. This was probably the most frustrating part of the process.
When I get home in late spring, studying abroad will have helped me reach at least one of my vocational goals: maybe I will be making plans to attend Napier’s Master’s program for Environmental Studies, or maybe my course work there will lead me in another direction.  When I’m at Napier, sitting in the hard, plastic library seats, only then will I know exactly what classes are available to take.  I am prepared with a list of eight, and I intend to take three or four.  Since my advisor helped me do all that work on the front end, I will be able to graduate on time, and get my dream job of being the director of the EBWA, Environmental Basket Weaving Association. Snicker. I’m totally joking. I still have no idea what I want to do. But I do know that studying abroad anywhere in the world is going to provide information, situations, feelings, friends and memories that cannot be equaled. So what am I expecting to gain? Everything. I’m going into this next semester with an open mind, and I can’t wait to begin.

But really you guys. This was our last blog prompt, and 52,565,760 seconds really isn’t that much time…

No comments:

Post a Comment