Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Vocation in Buenos Aires

Taylor King
Study Abroad Blog 8: Vocation
As many people know, I am studying in Buenos Aires, Argentina this February for four and a half months.  I will be at the Universidad del Salvador and will be taking most of my classes in Spanish as well as living with a host family close to the school.  Some of my vocational goals while in Argentina are to make progress in my fluency.  Since I chose to live with a host family, I am hoping that I will have a bit more Spanish immersion than I would in a college dorm room.  I am hoping that the family that I will be staying with has children because I feel like I would feel more at home with younger audiences to communicate to as well as adults.  In Argentina, the locals have a specific accent that is very distinct.  Instead of their ll sounding like a y, their ll sounds like a shhh sound.  Another vocational goal is to pick up on this European accent fairly quickly! 
One thing that I will do consciously while abroad to help achieve my vocation/career:

I want to learn how to distinctly know and recognize the Argentina and Uruguay accent in Spanish like I have done in the US with Mexican, Salvadorian, and Cuban accents. I want to accomplish this by volunteering in maybe tutoring Argentine students who are studying English.  Since I want to be a translator as my future career, I need to be able to recognize and adjust to different accents and idiomas from different countries.  This is one reason that I am super excited to study another language abroad.  I cannot wait for the opportunity to be immersed in this new culture!

No comments:

Post a Comment