Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Academic Differences

Taylor King
Study Abroad Blog 7: Academic Differences
ACADEMIC DIFFERENCES:
o     Workload (There are usually just one test at the end of the semester instead of three throughout the year.
There is a lot of outside reading and watching some movies, cultural shows.
o    Classrooms are going to be larger than the ones in Maryville so less participation is to be expected and more outside work will happen.
o    The expectations of students are to attend class.  Attendance in mandatory just like Maryville in Argentina.  Completing homework is crucial in keeping up and not falling behind in classes.
o    Faculty usually doesn’t have close relationships to students.  I am curious to see how teacher/conferences will go in Argentina.  Will they be more formal and strict?
CREDITS:
o    Credits are worth the same depending on the class that I take in Argentina that will transfer back to the US.  The ones that I have chosen will transfer back the Maryville.
o    I cannot find information on how many hours/week each class will meet yet since I have not heard about what my official schedule will look like.  However, I do know from a previous study abroad student who went to Buenos Aires that he took 18 credit hours there and did well.  He had a schedule similar to the one in the US
o    My credits will transfer because they will take the place of some of my second semester classes as a junior while I am gone.  I am taking 17 credit hours now and will be taking 12 credit hours in Argentina.
GRADES:
Letter grades in my host country are not equivalent to the U.S grading systems.  Instead of a rational of 0-100%, in Argentina the grade system is from 1-10.  0-1 is considered failing, 2-3 is Insufficient, 4-4.9 Pass, 5-6 Good, 7-8 Distinguished, 9-10 is Outstanding.

SUPPORT:
o    Support services:
A class is offered to take as a prep class called: PIC Program de Immersion Cultura Fundamentacion teorica del Programa de inmersión Cultural….  Son dos partes. This class will prepare me a little more than me attending classes for the first time without any prep beforehand about specific cultures and words of Argentina.  I will also be living with a host family who will provide up to 14 to 18 meals a week for me.
o    Academic resources: I will have an Immersion program.1-2 day orientation, language exchange program, as well as walking tours.
o    Tutoring available:  A social inclusion in the Contemporary situation.  PIC students are eligible to volunteer at the NGO program which is close by to the university.
FULL-TIME STATUS:
o     I have to have at least 12 credits at the University of Salvador to enroll and be considered full time in Argentina as well at home at Maryville College.
o    The minimum numbers of courses I will have to take to be full-time in Argentina and full-time at Maryville College are five classes.

1 Arte Contemporáneo Argentina 3 horas

2 Realidad Latinoamericano Desde sus Protagonistas: Dirigencias Políticas 3 horas

3 Representaciones Sociales y Cultura En La Historia Argentina Local 3 horas

4 Curso central obligatorio: Literatura y Cultura Contemporáneas Latinoamericanas 4 horas

5 PIC Programa de Inmersión Cultura Fundamentación teórica del Programa de inmersión Cultural….  Son dos partes


No comments:

Post a Comment