Thursday, November 21, 2013

Working on Vocation in Uruguay

I have a few concrete goals for focusing on vocation while I'm abroad.

     1. I am looking into volunteer opportunities in Montevideo. I've arranged to finish all of my required community service hours form my Bonner Scholarship before I leave, but I still want to work within the community. First, I can't really imagine school without volunteering. But also, I think that volunteer work is a sure-fire way to meet "real" Montevideo -- not the tourist attractions or the polished brochures. I also think that comparing the manifestations of poverty within Montevideo to Appalachia will be a truly educational experience.
     I'm also going to look into Rotary International to see if they can hook me up with Rotary members abroad!

     2. Even though I'm not sure that I'll go to graduate school at all, I want to tour graduate schools/programs abroad. What should stop me from getting a Master's in Uruguay if I decide that I want to? I'm interested to see the different perspectives of the students, and how the programs operate. Plus, it will probably be a cool way to see less-touristy sights.

In a more abstract way, I know that I'm going to change and grow a whole-lot as a person while I'm away. I think that will make me more capable in general, but also better at making career decisions.

We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment