Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Stacey: Academic Adjustments?

Every school is a little different, but thinking of a different school in a different country (and continent, and hemisphere…) makes me wonder just HOW different the academic experience will be! No fear! The internet is a powerful tool, and I have plenty of answers about the education system in Uruguay.

A major difference between Uruguay and the US is the grading scale, which ranges from 12 (Outstanding) to 0 (Deficient). Here’s a handy chart to illustrate the ranges:
Scale
Grade Description
U.S. Grade Equiv.
11-12
Sobresaliente (Outstanding)
A
8-10
Muy Bueno (Very Good)
A
5-7
Bueno (Good)
B
3-4
Regular/Aprobado (Average/Pass)
C
0-2
Deficiente (Deficient)
F
Some sources have given slightly different names for each category (like “Bueno Muy Bueno/BMB” rather than Muy Bueno), but I think the idea remains the same.

Further, the grades that you get are attached to a slightly different way of attending classes. Many classes are condensed into a single afternoon or evening meeting, rather than the typical MWF hour-long sessions in the US. I always have preferred morning classes, so I will definitely have to adjust if I end up with a 3 hour evening class! However, some classes meet for shorter amounts of time with the expectation that students will spend more time outside of the classroom working on the concepts. Therefore, contact hours don’t necessarily equal the credit hours. Anything for the sake of knowledge!
The working-outside-of-class aspect of the system could work in my favor for socializing. Most students work for a degree within a facultad, and take courses toward that licensure with the same group of students (who are within the same facultad). Many times students work in groups, “together against the system” rather than “against each other,” which seems to promote camaraderie. Plus, if I take more than one class within the same facultad, I will have extended time with the same group of students… Can you tell that I just really want to make friends?!
Uruguayan schools are, in a way, more focused on practicality than my home university. What I mean to say is that the purpose of going to the University in Uruguay is to complete a degree, not to develop oneself as a whole. Therefore, student services and accommodations are limited. If a student is having problems, they need to ask for help from friends or [host] family. Professors don’t generally have office hours, so you may have to chase the professor down after class to ask a question. From what I have heard about Uruguayan hospitality and friendship, it seems that if I make good friends, we will help each other out well.
According to ISEP’s country handbook,
In most state run universities, students have to present two term papers or exams along with quizzes and a final oral and written presentation of the results of a research topic or, a specific assignment. This research paper can be substituted by a final comprehensive exam. Most of the time, research papers are done in groups, which requires a good cultural sensitivity on the part of the international student in order to fit in. This is a challenge that after completing their exchange period most students find it very rewarding. In some social and biological programs students have to do fieldwork as well, either by themselves and organized in groups, or with the professors in fieldtrips. This fieldwork requires extra work in preparing the instruments to collect the information and in writing reports afterwards.”
So it seems that study groups and working with other students may come all at once for those big assignments. I will attend a private university, but I expect that this format will not be so different from a state school. It will be a relief to not have so many assignments throughout the semester, but I’ll have to watch out to make sure that I continue studying regularly.

From what I have gathered, it seems that La Universidad Católica del Uruguay is a challenging school. I plan to take a mix of international-student- and normal-Uruguayan- classes, which will definitely stretch my Spanish learning! Even though there are some structural differences between academics in Uruguay and the US, I expect that I will learn a whole lot regardless.


No comments:

Post a Comment