Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Rachel Burton: Vocation in Scotland


     The one thing that has been bothering me lately is not knowing what it is that I'm called to do in life.  I am not one of those people whose ideal or dream job just popped into my head one day and from then on, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  On the contrary, I can be quite indecisive at times, especially when it comes to really big or important decisions.  I think choosing a future career that I know I'll love for the rest of my life is one of those huge decisions that I have a hard time making.  I strive to never regret anything, and knowing that I will always want to do the job that I select will help me worry less about regretting it later.  Choosing to be a Biochemistry major at Maryville College wasn't hard.  I had always had a knack for science and math, and I found both interesting and enjoyable to study.  Then when all of the career options came to mind, I got overwhelmed and decided to let the ideas come to me.  I'm in the middle of my Junior year and many ideas have come to mind, but not one has stuck out or settled for me.  I've considered many areas of my major, such as physical therapy, forensic science, researching and working with animals, and teaching college-level chemistry. 
      I think going to The University of Edinburgh Napier will help me with my decision because it offers many more classes in my major that Maryville doesn't have, such as Forensic Biology, Animal Behaviour, and Life on Earth.  All of these courses are very specific biology classes, and I think taking them will show what I am or am not interested in doing as a future career.  Leah Petr went to this same university her junior year spring semester as a communications major, took some diverse classes, and realized she wanted to become involved in the field of tourism.  She told me to take a variety of modules in my course to give me a wide range of interests and possibilities for future jobs.  I also think finding an internship connected to the university or healthcare facilities in the city would be not only a great experience, but would also help me figure out my vocation.  I am going to  research into this before and after I get there, so that I can opinions from my professors and coordinator.

No comments:

Post a Comment