Thursday, May 3, 2018

Ali Lawson An American Abroad

Study Abroad Blog 2 – An American Abroad
Everyone starts out in a different place when it comes to how they experience a new culture.  But the starting point is an awareness of who you are and what baggage you bring to the table.  Use this blog to explore one of the following topics:
New Culture or First Long-term Experience Abroad
Using the Self Audit, Culture Strategies Survey and Cultural-Context Inventory as your guide, what are some of the strengths (or strategies) that you personally bring to the table when it comes to learning about and adapting to a new culture? What challenges are you going to face, and are there strategies that you think will work well for you to learn more in depth about the cultural traits of your host country?  What aspects of your identity or of “being an American (or your own culture if not American)” will you bring and educate others about?

A major strength that I will be using while I'm doing service abroad would be my friendliness and ability to engage in conversation. While certain methods I use to engage conversation may not work in Cape Town, my openness to discussion should help me while interacting with people in my new environment. My personality sometimes comes off as audacious, and I'm usually willing to take a bold move in regards to meeting new people. This will allow me to connect with people within the American program, as well as local individuals at my specific service site. 

In terms of challenges, it will take week or two for me to adjust to the logistical differences between the United States and South Africa. Driving on a different side of the road, working with unfamiliar public transportation, using a different currency, and just being in different city are all things that I will have to learn and become familiar with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment