Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Blog 4

Building a new life in a new country is not an easy job. There are many small details that influence a study abroad experience on a day to day basis. Because of this, it is important to have a set of guidelines to follow daily in order to get connected with the host community. Usually, life is composed of different social groups and areas: family, friends, college, hobbies, work etc. Wherever I go, these areas will develop as well. When it comes to the host college, I want to be part of an organization that enables me to interact with natives of the country while enjoying a fun activity. A particular extracurricular activity that interests me from Kansai Gaidai University is the Flower Arrangement Club. Something else very important when trying to "live like a local" is to observe social norms and what makes people feel as part of a group. It might be the way they say hi or by having a big sense of personal space. Learning about these social norms and applying them will help me get acclimated to the culture faster and successfully. Other ways in which I plan on fully immersing myself into the host culture is to learn what do people do for fun, or how do college students interact with their social groups. My very first plan to make friends is through clubs and organizations. Also, I will observe in class if that is a place where people socialize a lot or if it is only meant for learning. Like in the USA, the classroom is not a place quite for socializing. 

When I think about studying abroad in Japan, I think of my day to day developing through small tasks like writing down unknown words I see around me, trying to speak as much Japanese as I can, interact with as many Japanese people I can, and observe behaviors from natives and copy them in order to fit and live like a local. I believe that by sticking to my goals and giving my best I will gain growth, friendships, and a fourth culture to belong to. Analyzing and understanding behaviors will help me deeply learn the traditions of the host country making natives also more comfortable when socializing with me. One thing I will have to be constantly conscious about is to not judge and be patient with myself in any difficult situation. Immersing oneself in a new culture is a difficult once-in-a-lifetime experience that requires three very important things: patience, understanding, and focus. Patience when dealing with others and oneself, understanding others actions without judging, and focusing on the set goals. I will try my hardest to remember these three things to have a successful study abroad experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment