Thursday, May 3, 2018

Blog 5


I am currently majoring in Outdoor Studies and Tourism with a minor in Psychology. My goal after graduating, and what I am working towards being able to do in my academics, is to work as a wilderness guide and/or group facilitator for a few years. After this, I would like to pursue a Master’s Degree in Counseling so that I can build a career in Wilderness Therapy. Over the past four years, I have worked, through academics and otherwise, to better myself as a facilitator and someone who works with people to make a positive difference in their lives. I believe that going to New Zealand for the Outdoor Education internship and immersing myself in the country’s culture, as well as the culture around Outdoor Ed., will help me further this growth.
In going to New Zealand, I would like to immerse myself in the culture and learn about the Outdoor Education field in a different country, one where it is a fairly successful field. This program is perfect for where I am right now. I will gain valuable people skills from the experience of going to a new country and interacting with people from very different backgrounds than my own. I also hope to reach a new level of flexibility and cultivate my problem-solving skills by traveling across the world independently.

No comments:

Post a Comment